Thursday, February 7, 2013

Knarley Thursday

 

A Candid Moment with Matt Patterson

 
Nola - Introduces yourself to all those who may not know you?
Matt - My name's Matt Patterson. I'm a singer/songwriter finishing up my last semester of college at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia.
 
Nola - Where are you from?
Matt - I'm from Queens, New York. More specifically, Rockaway Beach.
 

Nola - Who influenced you in and out of the industry?
Matt - Within the industry, I'd say Trey Songz. When he first started putting out mix tapes rather then ballads and what not, that was the first time I realized singing wasn't restricted to love songs. You could sing about anything and swag it out. Keeping it within the industry but closer to home, I'd have to say my producer KQuick was a huge influence. He's the one who really schooled me on the songwriting process and how to approach the music game. He's a huge reason I was able to get this all going.  Outside of the industry, my mother. She's my rock. She keeps me grounded and close to God. She never lets me lose focus. Don't know what I would do without her.


Nola - When was the “Ah” moment for you that solidified you being in the industry?
Matt - I can't say I've had that moment yet. I still ride the megabus. I'll say I had my "Ah" moment when I have a million dollars in the bank.

Nola - What advice will you give upcoming artist?
Matt - Stay focused, don't get lazy, STAY AWAY from any and all negative people, they'll bring you down. Stay around people who really believe in what you do. Don't listen to the bullshit people have to say either. Constructive criticism is one thing but there's a little hater in everyone, don't pay it any mind. Last thing, don't believe your own hype. One song/project/video doesn't mean much. Keep workin.  

Nola - What is your definition of success?
Matt - I have some lengthy personal goals for myself, but I think you're successful if you wake up happy everyday. There's plenty of miserable people with big bank accounts. If you're thankful and positive everyday, you're successful to me.


Nola - What attributes do you think contributes to your success?
Matt - My best attribute is that I'm not rapping. Very few people are willing to listen to another "rapper". When I tell people I sing, they'll usually give my music a shot. It helps. I also think I have my own distinct sounds that people are surprised when they hear it come from me. 


Nola - Who is the person behind the singer and how does it shape the way you approach fans, media etc.?
Matt - The person behind the "singer" is a normal kid from New York City. I like joking around with my friends, smoking, drinking, watching sports etc… There's not really a "hollywood" aspect to me. I'm just like everyone else my age and I think that helps a lot when I approach people. They see I'm just a normal dude doing his thing trying to live my dream.


Nola - How do you think the media portray singers in the industry? And do you think it’s a fair portrayal?
Matt - I mean yeah its probably fair. Most of these singers seem to stay under the radar and just make good music. We all know Chris Brown is an exception but he makes bangers so I don't really care.

Nola - What are you currently working?
Matt - I've spent the past year putting together my second project titled "Back In Business" which just released this past week. I'm proud of it. You can download it at www.mattpattersonmusic.com


Nola - What do you hope to do with your music?
Matt - What do I hope to do with my music? Good question...going back to waking up happy everyday, music is my way to do make that happen. Other than that...I hope to be able to travel a lot, reach and meet people from everywhere, spoil the my mom and just live a good life.


Nola - If you could compare yourself to an already established artist, who would that be and why?
Matt - I hate this question because I only see myself as myself. I'm doing my own thing. If I have to answer I guess I'd say Justin Timberlake. He's white, he sings. I'm white, I sing. Yeah.


Nola - Where would you most like to perform?
Matt - Madison Square Garden. NEW YORK CITY. Can't imagine what that would be like. 


Nola - Who would you most like to open for?
Matt - Doesn't really matter to me, as long as I'd get some exposure. 


Nola - Where can be people keep in touch or contact you?
Matt - You can find all things Matt Patterson on my website - www.mattpattersonmusic.com. The best way to contact me personally twitter. I'm always on there. @mattpatterson_
 

Matt Patterson is KNARLEY APPROVED 

No comments:

Post a Comment